Monday, January 18, 2010

New_York_entry_#6_(SQUEEZING_THE_FRUIT)

Most of my friends and family know that I'm a bit of a health nerd. I like to eat healthy food because it helps me function better in life. Because of this, and if I'm to potentially move to the East Coast, I have to know how the quality of meats, seafood and produce compare to the West Coast.

To find this out I've been stopping at some of New York's finest grocery stores (at least that's the claim on their marquis') to squeeze produce, price meat and seafood, and search for organic options.

My findings: the overall quality and price of grub hasn't been that bad. No produce has an exorbitant price way above West Coast norms. Apples don't cost $5 per pound and, what's more, I've found a lot of produce that I haven't seen anywhere else.

On top of the produce available at the local grocery stores, there are legit markets much like Pike's Place in Seattle with fresh fruits and veggies, as well as delicious looking seafood and meat products.

One thing that doesn't abound in Manhattan and Brooklyn quite like it does in California is the organic food option. Yes, organic foods do exist, but you have to search for them —just like Yerba Mate. If I were to move out here I would have to pick a neighborhood, get comfortable, and then find all the stores and markets with organic options.

2 comments:

  1. "...i want to talk to you about nutrition..." :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. i hear seattle's pretty health concsious (i have no idea how to spell that).

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
After a five year career in journalism Dominic has moved into the non-profit industry. He specifically works in marketing and is adamant about the expansion of quality skateparks and recycling centers.

Followers