A journalism professor of mine from my undergraduate Alma mater helped me out on my New York trip by connecting me with her colleagues at the New York Times. Once at the Times, her friends took me on a tour that included a design budget meeting and a meet-and-greet with a handful of the Times' great page designers, graphic artists and photo editors.
The NY Times building wasn't hard to find as its new location takes up an entire city block (!) in Midtown Manhattan, next to the Port Authority subway stop. Once inside the building I was inspired by the size, and energy, of the newsroom and, it wasn't until days later, that I realized this was probably my first time in a newsroom since the closing of my old employer, the Eureka Reporter.
Here's the best part; after sitting in on a design meeting for the national edition, the design director told me there was potential for part-time employment in the design department (woo-hoo!). I know that I said I'm looking for full-time, but I hear the part-time employees of the NY Times are well taken care of and paid handsomely for there troubles. Here's to putting yourself out there! Wish me luck!
Side note:
Just in case your ever interested in buying a full page ad in the NY Times expect to pay $130,000-$140,000... for one day! That's why you mostly see Coke and Macy's ads in the Times rag.
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- A. Dominic Efferson
- After a five year career in journalism Dominic has moved into the non-profit industry. He specifically works in marketing and is adamant about the expansion of quality skateparks and recycling centers.
No comments:
Post a Comment