Don't expect to find any hot Yerba Mate in New York. I stopped at a Starbucks and ordered a cup of the yummy coffee-alternative and the barista issued me a confused look —she obviously had no idea what I was talking about. She offered me a green tea instead, but I declined and ordered a small coffee.
The barista also had no idea what an 8oz coffee was; everything at Starbucks is a venti, or grandi or whatevs. To tell the truth, I don't feel like getting use their pompous terminology. But, as they apparently own, or rent, every feasible coffee spot in the city one doesn't have much of an option. When in New York do as a New Yorker... right?
I also went to several grocery stores in search of a cold Yerba Mate and after three or four corner stores and a grocery store or two I figured my cause lost. That, of course, was until I happened across the Super Whole Foods in Columbus Circle. It isn't actually called a "Super" Whole Foods, but I've never seen one quite so large.
I almost hate to say it, but I was happy to run across the beast that reminded me somewhat of the Wildberries of my home.
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- A. Dominic Efferson
- After a five year career in journalism Dominic has moved into the non-profit industry. He specifically works in marketing and is adamant about the expansion of quality skateparks and recycling centers.
I think NYC has left more than one person to feel that Starbucks is their only choice. My friend Michelle lived there for awhile and said she carried a briefcase in one hand and Starbucks coffee in the other. "It was disgusting," she said.
ReplyDeleteStill, I'm sure everyone can find their place/pace there. Just make your own mate at home : )
janeane garofalo frequents the NYC starbucks, however, i'm not sure if that's a good enough reason to go there. unfortunately, as briana above mentioned, "it's their only choice."
ReplyDeleteon a different note, if you want a good cup of matte, i think you should head to brazil for your next trip. they probably won't have a super whole foods or wildberries, but the do have sun, beach, matte and tons of other amazingness!
p.s. you didn't do a good job of keeping us away from your blog by posting the link and then saying "don't look at it." i looked. it was good.
Brazil sounds like a lot of fun Danny. I'm assuming you've been? Wow, I need some sun in my life!
ReplyDeletei had some mormon friends who did their two year mission in brazil. i never made it there, would like to one day. wanna come?
ReplyDelete